Thursday, January 22, 2009

Windshield Wipers


Judges 6:37
It rained today, which doesn't happen much where I live in Tucson, AZ. As the rain fell I flipped on my wipers so I could better see where I was going. I got to thinking how much life is like that; sometimes where we're going just doesn't seem to be really clear and we need some assistance. I've spent a lot of time pondering where I'm at in this journey of faith over the last few years and wonder where I'm heading. There are times a sign or revelation from God would be nice because things seem to be smeary like worn out wiper blades. Times come when we look high and low, right and left, and just don't see the way. Take heart and know you're not alone, this predicament isn't uncommon for us as Christians to be in especially if our desire really is to follow God's plan for our life. Even Gideon wanted to be really sure he was doing God's will by asking the Lord for a sign, not one, but two, just to be certain! We find that story in Judges 6:36-40:

36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised- 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water. 39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew. (Taken from the NIV c.1984)

I've never tried something like Gideon did before but there isn't a reason not to pray and ask God to show us the way. Don't be discouraged if God doesn't respond as quick as you'd like either. If we keep seeking after the Lord we will find our direction. Today, whether your life is smooth sailing or a shipwreck take time to think about your life - where you've come from and where you're headed and ask the Lord to direct your steps, so that you are going straight on the road he has for you. Also, take the time to check your wiper blades because you know not when the rain will come.

An appropriate song to listen to with this devotion is "Revelation" by Third Day

No comments:

Post a Comment