Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Rock

Matthew 7:24
Today as I was out touring around Tucson with my family I spotted a house that was really built on the edge of quite a hunk of rock. It was really taking the idea of building your house upon the rock quite seriously.

(Jesus said:) 24So everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them [obeying them] will be like a sensible (prudent, practical, wise) man who built his house upon the rock. 25And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.26And everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not do them will be like a stupid (foolish) man who built his house upon the sand.27And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell--and great and complete was the fall of it.

I've heard some sad stories in the news of people, even whole families committing suicide over our current economic crisis. This is particularly tragic to me as a Christian because I feel sad for those who have put all their hope in the fragile things of men. For those whose investment is in possessions, stocks, and worldly goods it spells disaster when these temporary items fail. These are the folks who built on the sand and when the times got tough there was nothing to keep their house from taking a great fall. My prayers go out to those in that predicament and I hope they will come to know the one who gives us riches that will never loose their value. For me, even though there are nights I look at my budget and wonder how I've been managing to stay afloat, I know there's nothing to worry about because God has always been there for me and will help me make it through. My house is like the one built on the rock. Believe me, I've had some pretty big storms in my life, yet I still keep battling on, clinging sometimes only to the faith I know will stop me from taking a serious spill. Christ is the solid rock and the firm foundation on which to build and with him in your life you are always in good hands. Like Paul, I don't say these things to boast about myself, but instead that all may understand how the Spirit has given me the endurance to keep running the race of life, which at moments is quite grueling. That same perseverance is available to anyone who has put their lives in God's hands. It is never too late to build your life on Godly principles. Just as houses can be moved, you too can take a life that has been being built on sand and move it to the rock. So, where have you built your house?

An excellent Christian video to go with today's devotion is "American Dream" by Casting Crowns or "Million Dollar Man" by Kutless.

No comments:

Post a Comment