Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Speed Limit Sign

Exodus 20:1-17 (click here to get the scripture from: Bible Gateway)
No, I didn't pick this object for today's devotion because I got pulled over, but I was just out driving and the idea came to me (No, I'm not lying, that would be a bad thing to do - well since this is a Christian devotional ya know). Kids I work with always have this idea that it will be great when they're grown up because then they can do whatever they want. That looks to be true - they just miss that when you're an adult some rules go away, but are quickly replaced by new ones. A good example is that mom won't call and yell at me because I stayed up all night blogging, my bedtime as an adult is whenever I want it to be. However, when I was a kid I didn't have to worry about obeying the speed limit (try as I might, my bike wouldn't go that fast!) which I now have to be concerned with. The point is no matter how old you get there will always be rules for you to follow. Some rules have no age boundaries, the 10 Commandments apply to all of us, for life. While there are many who try to rebel and not follow the rules, the thing they fail to see is that they were created for our own good. When you're a kid you have a bedtime so you get the sleep you're growing body needs and you don't sleep through school. As adults we have a speed limit on the road to follow so we hopefully don't harm ourselves or others when we're driving. God gave all of us His rules so that we would live in harmony with Him and with each other and life would go well for us. Since breaking rules leads to undesired consequences it is to everyone's advantage that we do our best to follow them. Just think what the world would be like if everyone followed the rules. So, I've said goodbye to my younger rebellious days of speeding around in my Eclipse humming, "I Can't Drive 55", and do my best to follow societies rules and God commandments, which is what Jesus would do. Let us all pray that the way we live our lives will be an example to others. Then, not only will we be moving on towards a more perfect, Christ-like life which God desires, but we will also be doing our part in creating a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment