Monday, February 23, 2009

Rain

2 Corinthians 12:10
When I start picking passages like this for my devotional it is usually because my health is becoming poor again and so I begin to look for verses to find comfort in the storm.

7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.10Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong (2 Cor. 12:7-10 NASB).

I have had numerous health issues throughout my life but starting about 2 years ago now, things really took a turn for the worse and there were more than a few times that I figured I was a goner. As a Christian the thought of death doesn't bother me, in fact to be rid of the pain once and for all would be a blessing. However, as that hasn't happened yet I look to the Lord and his grace to get me through, yet again. For those of you who have suffered a bit in this life I know it is hard to keep finding the "silver lining" amidst the clouds and maintain a joy-filled Christian attitude. Thankfully, we are not alone in our pain and our suffering as so many great saints have gone that road and left us scriptures full of inspirational stories of overcoming trials. (read about Paul, Job, David - just to name a few) As Paul infers here he becomes stronger and closer to God in these hardships and I definitely have found that true for myself. I have to admit I don't really like that truth as I greatly dislike being uncomfortable. Like Paul, I have prayed numerous times for healing from the Lord even if that meant "going home," but like Paul, I can't seem to get relief. For those of us in this predicament we need to use our condition to bring comfort to others going through their own suffering. How we handle difficulties may lead others to Christ as they see us being able to go on day after day despite our afflictions. Whenever I can I let others know that the only way I am making it is because God's strength is within me. If our bodies are his temple then whatever happens to us is in his hands. There's nothing better and more reassuring than that. Our problems are just times of testing and shaping as God is molding us into the people he wants us to be. You can persevere, He is with you and for you! Don't let the rain bring you down, go dance in it and splash in the puddles! Today spend time in prayer for anyone you can think of who is suffering and ask God how you may bring his peace to them. Stay strong!

A good song/video for today's devotion is Bring the Rain by MercyMe or Cry Out To Jesus by Third Day. You should also watch the story behind Bring the Rain as well. These are You Tube links, to download a MP3 version of either of these songs click the links, top-right.

Special thanks to all who are linking to or following this blog, I pray that you will be blessed by God through the reading and studying of His word as I am blessed in presenting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment