Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Trophy - A Special Dedication to all the kids God's blessed me with ministering to

Numbers 6:24-26, 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20
Today was one of those difficult days for me as a staff at the childrens home I work at, as it was time to say farewell to a couple kids that I had spent a lot of time with over the past year. Many kids at the home come and go so quickly that you have little time to attach to them, but others who are around for years, who you've built a relationship with, are hard to see go. No matter how old you get "Goodbye" never gets any easier to say, and I've had to say it a lot. When you're passion is touching the lives of others with God's love and that bond is created, it is difficult to be separated from them. Paul felt this when writing to his friends in Thessalonica saying, "Do you have any idea how very homesick we became for you, dear friends? Even though it hadn't been that long and it was only our bodies that were separated from you, not our hearts, we tried our very best to get back to see you. You can't imagine how much we missed you! Who do you think we're going to be proud of when our Master Jesus appears if it's not you? You're our pride and joy! (1 Thl 2:17-20 The Message)" Let me dedicate that verse to any young person whose life God's blessed me with the opportunity to touch over the years (and by now there are many). Each of you is like a trophy on the shelf in my life, something special, a fond memory, a gift from God. I am proud to see the Lord at work in your lives and know "that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart...(Philippians 1:6-7 NIV)" We may no longer be together physically, but spiritually we will always be one. You will always be in my thoughts and prayers and I will always be thankful to God for the time he gave us to spend together. I leave you with this blessing from God: "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace (Numbers 6:24-26 NIV)." Take some time today thinking of those who have come and gone from your life and offer a prayer on their behalf.
Click the link to see a You Tube video of the best friendship song ever written, "Friends" by Michael W Smith. Another good one, also by him, is the short, sweet, "How to Say Goodbye." (Have some tissues handy.)

1 comment:

  1. AWW! David that is beautiful. I know how you feel. All we can do is wish them well and pray for them.

    ReplyDelete